Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Stunted Growth

I feel like I've grow up "wrong".  And I feel like that has hurt me in some ways and helped me in others.  In one way, I'm good at being an emotional grown-up.  But on the flip-side, I feel like I'm still a kid who just never grew up.  I feel like because of my mom's death I've lost out of things "normal" kids have.  Like when I should have been in college planning a future, deciding what I "want to be when I grow up", I was busy trying to make it to the next day.  I feel like people my age know what they want, know what they need, and I'm lost, I have no idea what I want or need.  I went to the college I picked out with my mom.  I was going to major in a degree that she'd mentioned she thought I'd be good at.  I planned my life based on my dead mother and I've been floundering ever since.  In the past 12 years I've struggled finding the right job, the right life, the right every thing.  It's like now that she's gone I can't make a decision, I don't know what's best for me.  And I'll be honest, I'm tired of it.  I'm tired of not knowing what I need, of wishing I had her to tell me.  I'm sad that I let my dead mother pick this life for me since she's not here to help.  I'm sad that I never finished college because I picked a school and a degree because of my dead mom.  I'm not blaming her, but I feel like her death stopped me cold in my tracks and I've never really been able to start up again.  I feel like I was gyped, like I should have been making a life plan but instead I was grieving her and now it's too late to go back and be a college student bumming off your parents while you figure out life.  Sure I could go back to college but my bill still have to be paid, because I never made my decision then.  Sometimes it makes me more sad to think that I've wasted this much of my life and I'm not sure I can fix the damage I've created in my own life.

But to end this on a positive note or to try, I can accept that my life has played out how it's supposed to.  That if my mom were alive (it'd be great), but if she were alive I would be a very different person.  Some ways good of course, but other ways NOT good at all.  In some ways if she were still alive I wouldn't have the courage and strength to take some of the chances I've taken, not because I don't have that strength and courage, but because I would have relied on her for that strength and courage, and that's not bad either, but I can be happy in knowing that though she's gone, I do have strength and courage that wouldn't have had to surface were she alive today.  To me that's a good thing.  I meet people in life who haven't had to find their courage and their strength and sure, sometimes I'm a little jealous that their life seems "easier" but I know it's a good thing that I'm stronger and have been forced to find that.  Does this make any sense?  Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself today, that I'm better despite the loss.  Hard to convince myself, especially today, but ...  Ya know, if I succumb to that negative feeling, and don't fight it... well that wouldn't be good.  So as lame and thinly-veiled my attempt to see the positive, I know it's important to try, even if it is a crappy attempt. ;)

4 comments:

  1. This hit home for me...I feel the same way. I feel like I grew up "wrong" too. I feel like I have been off track since my mom's death when I was 16. Now I'm 33 and I'm still renting an apartment, have a crappy car, living paycheck to paycheck, single and have no focus in life. I did get my education and I have a good job, but I don't feel stable or complete. I feel like I've had no guidance and I've made so many mistakes. Sometimes I feel like it's too late to get back on track.

    I feel so different than everyone else. I feel like they're in a bubble and I'm on the outside. I don't have good relationships with people and I like to be alone most of the time. AND, I still feel like a kid. Don't feel grownup AT ALL.

    Thanks for what you wrote, makes me feel like I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome and THANK YOU for sharing. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who feels stunted. There's comfort with others. ;) It's not great to feel like this but it's nice to know I don't struggle alone. And I know we'll all be okay, we just have more on our plates, but we'll be okay, I do believe that. I'm just not sure how _I_ get to "okay" at least not just yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we're doing ok all things considered. It could be a lot worse, right!? :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure how to respond. In a way, it has been different for me because I had longer with my mom. I still had her as I went to college and thought that I was getting my life figured out and put together. But I have to admit, all of that building up and putting together has not withstood the test of losing my mom. I stand here now feeling like I was an idiot, like I had no clue about life and who I wanted to become. It is a weird feeling, but when my mom died, I felt as if I was being forced to be an adult for the first time in my life, no more calling mom for advice or just to talk, only place to look now is within, and at the same time feel as if I reverted back to being a little girl. I feel lost and afraid and completely clueless about the meaning of life or my place in it. I call my life before my mom died a time of "blissful ignorance". Now I am being pushed, forced, to evaluate myself, for better and for worse.

    Our friendship is a new one, but from what I have seen, I don't think you have grown up "wrong" per say. I think despite going through something so agonizing so young, you have a lot you can be proud of. How we react and the decisions we make while we are grieving; well, they are what they are. Please don't beat yourself up over anything you have or haven't done, those choices have made you who you are, and who you are is wonderful. Chances are, had you continued college and done what in your mind looking back would have been "right", you may be sitting in a similar chair and feeling unhappy for not focusing on yourself and your healing at the time, for trying to put it off until you got your life figured out. I mean honestly, who out there actually has their life figured out?! (well, except for perfect cupcake girls, but come on, we are more multifaceted and fun!)

    I know for me, I get nervous about living my life for my dead mother. I can feel myself do it, and I can pick up on the disapproval of others. But I am just not the type of person who can do otherwise... at least not yet. So I guess I will have to rely on people like you to walk with me, and we can both give each other pointers along the way. :)

    Need a vacation yet? hehe, I know of a big famous waterfall not too far from me that makes for some good pictures and some good meditation!!

    ReplyDelete